Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What's the deal with two surgeries in succession?

You might wonder what the outcome was to have two surgeries in such quick succession. Well, remembering the fundamental equation, that hip surgery = ass surgery, it is an insult to your ass, because the incision is re-used, and partly healed muscle and tissue is cut... Ouch. Dr. Ferrante closed this new incision with staples, rather than sutures and steri-strips (which he had used for the initial one).

The biggest concern is infection, with rates apparently reaching 10%, because of the greater difficulty of sterilizing the area plus the plain reality of re-exposing traumatized tissue to the environment. I did have a bit more tenderness, and a day or two extra of mild evening temperatures, but so far it looks like I'm ok. 

Other than that, the two surgeries have left me in a slightly curious hybrid state, as there was some healing from the first surgery that I retained and that wasn't reset by the second operation. So for that reason and because each hip and each surgery can be different anyway, it's a little hard to index my progress this time against progress after the surgery I had two years ago on my left hip. All in all, the net is that I'm a little more sore and weak this time, probably reflecting the additional trauma. 

No comments: