Saturday, December 3, 2011

Late-2011 Update

Time flies. While I still at times am aware of having two mended hips (hey, I fly at least every few months), lots of days go by where I don't even think about it. In 2010 I rode the most miles ever on my road bike (4750), and I rode two centuries with my son; 2011 will be similar. I also have done some pretty strenuous fieldwork, camping, and hiking in Yosemite and Mongolia. I do get phantom twinges every so often that can be briefly worrying but they always disappear quickly; kind of a scar-tissue feel in most cases. Really my biggest issue at the moment is re-discovering that my knees aren't so hot either. I follow the news about metal ions and resurfacing, and I'm just glad to have Birmingham implants (the full Australian report is pretty reassuring in that regard).

Moving on to too-much information territory, the surgical scar from 2007 is really faint, and the 2009 double scar is getting better, although I'm not planning on a retirement that involves modeling thongs (for which the world is grateful). So, so far, so good. Even if the implants fall out tomorrow, I already feel like it's been worth it.

1 comment:

tp1234 said...

Wow, it certainly sounds like you've been making good use of your Birmingham Hips!

I have doen alot of research into all the different surgeons and surface hippy sites and Derek McMinn (Inventor surgeon of the BHR) has one of the best sites. Lots of videos, results, case studies, operation techniques and information. www.mcminncentre.co.uk is the site definetly worth checking out, his own personal series of over 3200 is 97% at 14 Years! Incredible!

The blog on the site www.mcminncentre.co.uk/blog is also really interesting lots of stories, photos and videos from his patients some of whom have done incredible stuff with their hips!

Great blog though keep it up!