Monday, January 19, 2009

Middle-Aged Hip Returns: The Sequel of Symmetry

Ayuh, things are going real well with the resurfaced hip, but now it's mate has packed it in. Over the holidays, my right hip started aching a lot. I spent lots of time standing during poster sessions at the American Geophysical Union meeting, and it really was a chore. All the old symptoms were back -- groin pain, sore lower back, pains running down my leg. The anti-inflammatory I'd been taking (diclofenac) wasn't really making any difference any more. After a few weeks of this getting worse, to the point of not wanting to ride my trainer, or even walk around much, I booted up the whole dance once again: referral from primary doctor, and then the visit to my surgeon, Dr. Ferrante in Easton PA. The result of that visit: February 23rd, I'm having my right hip resurfaced.

I can't say that the whole process is something I remember fondly, but if the outcome is anything like I've had with the left hip, this will be well worth it. I'm hoping for a pretty active summer, hence the decision to sneak in this surgery spanning our spring break (I'm teaching a grad seminar-- if I have to, I'll just drag the class out to my house and soldier on from there). 

I'll report succinctly on what round two was like.

No comments: