Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Day 51: Back on the Bike

It's been unseasonably warm and pleasant here in eastern PA and I've been watching the weather with a growing itch to get on the bike. I figured I'd wait until I was fully eight weeks past surgery, which would occur after this coming weekend. But today, I just couldn't take it anymore: I couldn't get a slot for physical therapy, so I headed home to exercise and ride the trainer in the basement, and then I just decided to go for it and take a road ride.

First of course, I had to find all my riding stuff (gloves? what gloves?), replace a battery in the cyclocomputer, etc etc -- I'm always clumsy and inefficient at the start of the riding year, and this is what this ride was like. Plus, as I mentioned in another post, I've been less attentive to natural things like the weather and sunset, so I got off to kind of a late evening start...

I managed a very comfortable 15 miles in 65 minutes. I know that's  s  l  o  w,  but I didn't want to push things, and it's been 14 weeks of little exercise since that last crappy, sore-hip, rain-drenched ride that marked the end of my riding. Plus, I'm 8-10 pounds over normal summer weight and frankly I'm out of aerobic shape.

But at last! Back on the bike! It felt great: no pain (on my left side), no problems with balance or stiffness. I still have a little bit of a knot in my left quadriceps, but wow, it's just feels amazing to feel so much better, so soon.

No comments: