Sunday, August 26, 2007

Oh, Right, About the Pain

Sorry to get so caught up in all the details of surgery that I omitted one important report: what about the pain that I was trying to defeat in the first place?

Well, it's gone! I guess because there is still some stiffness and soreness in my left leg, I haven't been paying attention to this important point. In fact, I've already forgotten what the arthritic pain was like. The only small reminder are some complaints from my right hip, which will probably need work one day before too long.

Thinking about it, it really is astounding. 20 days ago I was limping and wincing, and as most hip sufferers will know, the referred pain - up and down the leg, in my knee, in my groin - was frustrating, widespread, and random. I was getting concerned that my limp was aggravating my knee, such that after surgery, I would have a great hip but a rotten knee and thus no net progress. Not so. All those pains have vanished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed your blog, and happy to hear you are doing so well! I looked into resurfacing, but decided against it. My doctor felt it was a short-term fix to a long-term problem and his arguments for/against it convinced me to go the minimally invasive way. (I'm 48, also with dysplasia, BTW.)

I had my replacement on May 25, yet am not walking yet, not because of anything the doctor did wrong. When I had a knee scope last December I got blood clots. For this surgery, the hematologist recommended 90 days of Arixtra injections. Apparently I bled into the hip cavity, possibly the bone bleeding, and because I am on thinners, the blood could not reabsorb naturally. I have 2 days of thinner left and healing should begin in earnest after that. It's been a long, painful summer. Not at all what I expected from recovery.

Good luck to you! I have a trail race to WALK on October 13, so that's my current goal. No more marathons for me!

Michele in Omaha