Saturday, August 25, 2007

Day 19: Progress! Stairs and Bike!

Yesterday evening and this morning saw two big advances. First, I found myself able to walk UP stairs leg over leg, with only minor assistance from a railing. That doubles my ascending speed(!), and means my quadriceps muscle must be coming around.

And this morning, I got myself onto my wind trainer and rode for 20 minutes. I actually raised my heart rate! And sweated! A whole 3.5 miles!! Not exactly like riding a century, but I see a way forward back to fitness. Woo hoo!

Of course, I was careful to have a little platform to help mount the bike, and I alerted my sons to check on me should I fall and not be able to get back up. I'd been worried that twisting out of the clipless pedals might be hard, but it wasn't a problem. I did feel a little winded and dizzy at higher spin rates when I was down in the drops, so that will take some work. But overall, great to finally get some exercise.

No comments: