Saturday, August 25, 2007

Welcome and Background

I'm starting this blog 19 days after enjoying Birmingham hip resurfacing. My goal is to record my experience with this procedure. This includes my decision to go ahead, my concerns and questions, and finally my still-ongoing journey through the procedure and its aftermath. This will be an intensely boring and uninteresting story for most people - except those aching souls who find themselves with a sore hip and the dawning realization that they need to do something about it.

I'm targeting active, athletic middle-aged types who are finding it a little hard to believe that they are facing a major operation, and who are trying to navigate the piles of material on the web, which amounts to a tangle of dated material, excerpts from technical medical studies, and mostly, information for more elderly people who are looking at conventional hip replacement (but see the surface hippy site as an exception!).

It's important to realize that I'm not a medical doctor: I have a Ph.D. in tectonics and geochemistry, and this just makes me dangerous, not an authority on medicine and orthopedics! It's likely that other people have reported things better, and it's nearly certain that your hip and your condition will leave you facing details that will add up to a different experience. So please, treat this as one person's story, n = 1.

No comments: